Sidao stands for Sovereign Individual Decentralized Autonomous Organization.
1 The Idea
The term "sovereign individual" came from the book The Sovereign Individual: Mastering the Transition to the Information Age. It predicts that the domainant institution in the digital age is sovereign individual. As was in the case that gunpowder, capital and printing press brought the institution transition from religion/feudalism to nation-state, the information revolution is bringing the institution transition from nation-state to soverign individual(SI). SI is who
- owns mental capital that plays crucial role in digital economy -- where unskilled workers make much less contributions.
- chooses anywhere to live and usually work remotely for chosen tasks.
- pays tax to the First Bank of Nowhere.
- creates and shares narrow-casting (not broadcasting) information.
The human nature of SI still searches for meaning in social life. SIs form DAOs that can bring the collective morality, a sense of purpose, and a coherent set of orders, primarily in a digital manner. As DAO unlocks the potential of SI and minimize the collaboration cost, it will be much more productive than the nation-state. DAOs, not information-based aggregators (like Google or Metaverse) will be the dominant institution in digital age.
The DAO here is a general term: a family is a DAO, two persons chit-chatting with each other form a DAO. An institution with 1,000,000 SIs working/living together is also a DAO.
Sidao is a system that gives SIs the self identities, resources and platforms to create/join, operate and terminate/leave DAOs.
2 The System
2.1 System Features
Sidao is a digital system that has the following features:
- It is open source in both the free beer and free speech meanings. We use a dual license of MIT + Apache 2.
- It is an open, customizable, and extensible system that is permanently built by collective effort of SIs.
- It is decentralized by nature, as the way of SIs' life.
- It is permission-less.
- SIs have full control of their privacy, data and fair share of responsibilities/rights in DAOs they participant.
- It is a P2P system in almost every perspective: creation, collaboration, operation, governance and termination.
2.3 System Functions
Sidao has the following functions for both SIs and DAOs, all in a decentralized P2P manner:
- multiple identifiers for multiple DAOs.
- basic communication
- multi-media chat with optional end-to-end encryption.
- microblog and blog following/unfollowing each other.
- Web site for any purpose and RSS feed.
- event organization
- tokens as right, asset and exchange media.
- digital wallets and financial transactions
- DAO governance and operation
- Searching and indexing
- Other Web2/Web3 Services Integration
- private email server and storage
- public permanent data in block chain
- world facts from Oracles
For SIs living in a totalitarian country, the P2P network shave have built-in VPN.
3.1 Digital Resource Assumption
In reality, we assume SIs have the following digital resources:
- a computer in hand/home that is at least as capable as iPhone 7 (released on 09/16/2016). This computer is called An SI client or client.
- a "good" connection to Internet. The connection could be on-demand.
We also assume that most SIs have a cloud computer, called SI agent or agent. An SI without An SI agent is called a Limited SI (LSI) and use the SI for those who has an agent. The SI agent is online most of the time. It also has reliable permanent storage that can be purchased from most cloud service providers. The SI clients and agents will form many P2P networks controlled by their owners.
3.2 System Architecture
The SI client provides the UI and local storage for offline access. Due to the size limitation and reliability concerns, the SI client only has minimum functional data and caches recently-used data. The corresponding agent has the full data set and much rich functions.
Clients and agents form many P2P networks on demand.